Phase 1 of The Garden of Reflection completes in July and will be a piece…
A garden celebrating St.Helens’ long standing relationship with the German city of Stuttgart has been created next to the patio of the World of Glass museum’s cafeteria, with features including a wooden horse, vines and a glass monolith. In February 2009 Stuttgart donated a vine garden as a gift to St.Helens Council and It included designs, along with funding to implement the project.
The garden forms the place where Stuttgart’s history is celebrated for the important role played by St.Helens in helping rebuild destroyed areas of the city after World War II.
Designs sought to represent the region’s characteristic vine terraces, while four glass monoliths depict the existing Stuttgart skyline.
A plywood horse, a common structure across Stuttgart, has been fixed there and painted in yellow and black to reflect Stuttgart’s colours. These reflect the rebuilding and new start for Stuttgart after 1945, when glass used in the reconstruction of the city was supplied by Pilkington Glass of St.Helens. Hardscape supplied buff sandstone paving and Crystal Black granite setts to the scheme.